Get assistance to get married in Italy with a refugee status without obtaining the Nulla Osta.
On the website of the Ministry of the Interior has been published the Circolare No. 1 of January 12, 2022 on “Nulla osta for a refugee foreigner who intends to contract marriage in Italy“.
The “Circolare” recalls that Article 116 of the Civil Code stipulates that foreign citizens who intend to marry on the national territory must submit to the civil status officer a declaration made by the competent authority of their country showing that there is no impediment to marriage.
For refugees, this function used to be carried out by UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees), but given the regulatory changes and the inability of UNHCR to obtain the necessary documentation to issue such a statement, the Government urged that the procedure be adjusted.
Having also heard the opinion of the Advocate General of the State, the Viminale informs that in order to obtain this “Nulla Osta,” refugees will be able to provide a certificate or other suitable act attesting to freedom of status, or a substitute declaration in accordance with Presidential Decree No. 445/2000.
In this way, The Ministry of the Interior guarantees the appropriate protections in favor of the citizen and citizen with refugee status, also ensuring the continuity of its action and avoiding the risk of making discrimination.
Who will be your Counselors?
Our firm’s specialized legal consultation services are designed to assist you in successfully meeting these requirements, thereby facilitating the legal recognition of your marriage in both Italy and the U.S.
Due to our experience in law firms and the foreign offices of the Italian public administration, we gained significant expertise in Consular affairs, and we are trained to solve the most complicated procedure such as:
1) Nulla osta process, legalization procedure, Court hearings for the refusal of the town hall when there documents missing , legal translation, apostille procedure, emergency procedure for legalization.
2) Same-sex couples that want to celebrate a civil union in Italy as in their country the union is forbidden;
3) Couples that come from countries where divorce is not allowed;
4) Italians living abroad registered at AIRE that need to recover their document to start the marriage banns in the Italian Consulate;
5) Assistance with people that come from countries that do not release the nulla osta;
7) People with refugee status who have requested asylum in Italy.