How can Australians get married in Italy?

How can Australians get married in Italy?

An Australian couple signs the Italian marriage certificate at the end of the ceremony.

Get to know the Legal requirements for Australians willing to get married in Italy.

As legal Counselors and Lawyers, we have been legal consultants for the Italian foreign offices! This experience allowed us to gain deep expertise in foreign affairs.

In order to get legally married in Italy you will need to do the following steps:

  1. First step is the Atto NotorioIt can be issued in an Italian Court and due to our long experience with civil court weddings, we know precisely which are the most efficient and quickest Courts in Italy to apply for your Atto Notorio. Please note that the atto notorio can be also issued in an Italian Consulate in Australia, but in this case this part of the procedure shall be handled entirely by the couple, but planners’ fee will be lower.
  2. The second step is getting a marriage nulla osta. You will need to swear before an Australian official in the Australian Consulate in Italy that there are no impediments to your marriage. The Australian Consul or the deputy will sign your sworn statement. 
  3. After that, we will bring this document to the competent Prefettura to legalize the signature of the Consul.
    Please note that not every Prefettura can legalize your sworn declaration, and most of them, even when qualified, are fully booked. For this reason, we can rely on our service to speed up the process since we know precisely the competent Prefettura and always have a slot booked every month to get the sworn declaration legalized.

Please note that if you have been already married, divorced, or widowed, you will need to prove the end of the marriage with a death certificate or divorce decree in original. Copies won’t be accepted.
Please also note that a divorced woman who wishes to marry again within 300 days of the date of the divorce must obtain permission from an Italian Court.

Once we have atto notorio and the Australian Nulla Osta is legalized, the game is done, and we can apply for your civil court wedding in the Italian town hall you love the most!

Besides, if you have previously married, you will need to prove your termination. 

Please note that your sworn declaration (also called Nulla Osta) is valid for six months; therefore, you need to plan your civil wedding before that deadline.

Please also note that atto notorio expires in 3 months; hence you must issue it not more than three months before the wedding date.

All certificates, including divorce certificates or death certificates certifying your previous Marriage’s termination, must be originals. 

Civil Wedding Ceremony for Australians in Italy

So once we have the sworn declaration (Nulla Osta) legalized and your atto notorio issued by the Italian Court, we will contact the town hall selected by you, providing them with all the necessary documents.

We will also provide to recruit a professional interpreter required by law.

At this time, we will book an appointment for a Declaration of Intent to Marry (applicable for non-resident in Italy) otherwise, banns of Marriage (the so-called “pubblicazioni di matrimonio”) need to be started in case one of the spouse has legal residency in Italy.

We will book then the appointment for the day of the wedding ceremony that usually occur 1 or 2 days after the declaration of intention to marry for non-resident foreign citizens if the “pubblicazioni di matrimonio” is not applicable.

It is customary to pay a fee for the rental of the marriage hall, and this fee may vary according to the town hall you are planning to marry in. 

You will receive your marriage certificate after the wedding ceremony or some days immediately after the wedding day.

To get your marriage certificate recognized in Australia, as designated your wedding planner in Italy, we will place an Apostille (Hague Convention) to the Italian Marriage certificated by the Italian authorities at the competent Prefettura of the city where you get married to be legally valid once you are back in Australia. 

Please remember that during the peak wedding season (May to September), it could be challenging to get an appointment with the town hall officials and apply for the Apostille, as many foreigners ask to marry in Italy during that period.

Therefore, we suggest you book your wedding quite in advance to plan a proper timeline for you.

Please note, as mentioned above, that if one of you is Italian or is an Australian citizen with Italian residency, or the Italian citizen of the couple lives abroad (registered at AIRE) the Italian authorities will require the mandatory banns of Marriage (the so-called “pubblicazioni di matrimonio“), which will be posted for 11 days in the town hall in Italy if the Italian citizen lives in Italy or in the competent Italian Consulate abroad if the Italian party of the marriage lives abroad with a registration at AIRE.

After this period of notice has expired (pubblicazioni di matrimonio), you can get married, and you won’t need to attend the appointment for the declaration of intent to marry for non-residenti foreign citizens.

Who will be your Counselors?

Legal counselors for civil wedding in Italy

Due to our experience in law firms and the foreign offices of the Italian public administration, we gained significant expertise in Consular affairs, and we are trained to solve the most complicated procedure such as:

1) Nulla osta process, legalization procedure, Court hearings for the refusal of the town hall when there documents missing , legal translation, apostille procedure, emergency procedure for legalization.

2) Same-sex couples that want to celebrate a civil union in Italy as in their country the union is forbidden;

3) Couples that come from countries where divorce is not allowed;

4) Italians living abroad registered at AIRE that need to recover their document to start the marriage banns in the Italian Consulate;

5) Assistance with people that come from countries that do not release the nulla osta;

6) American and Australian couples who needs assistance with “atto notorio” in an Italian Court or the Italian Consulate in the USA or Australia.

7) People with refugee status who have requested asylum in Italy.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *