How can a Polish citizen marry in Italy?

How can a Polish citizen marry in Italy?

civil wedding before the Major in Italy.

To get married in Italy, a Polish citizen has two routes depending on the status of the applicant.

Besides Planners, we have been legal consultants for the Italian foreign offices! This experience allowed us to gain deep expertise in foreign affairs.

Where should the Polish citizen submit the request

The request can be submitted at the Polish consular office that has territorial jurisdiction.

In the case of a marriage celebrated in a third country, it is suggested to submit (through the consulate) the request for the issuance of a nulla osta directed to the civil registry officer in a municipality in Poland. The nulla osta issued by the consul cannot be legalized, while the one issued by the civil registry officer can undergo legalization. For this reason, if an official from the country where the marriage will be contracted asks for a legalized nulla osta certificate, it should be issued by the civil registry officer and not by the consul.

What documentation does the Polish citizens must provide?

  1. Valid Polish passport or valid Polish identity card,
  2. Request for the issuance of a clearance,
  3. Declaration that there are no impediments to marry,
  4. Document proving the marital status of the other party (certificates issued in a foreign language must be accompanied by a translation done by a sworn translator or by the consul and legalized, unless the law provides otherwise).

Frequently Asked Questions for Polish Citizens Intending to Marry in Italy:

Is the presence of the future husband/future wife required at the appointment when submitting the request for the certificate confirming that, according to Polish law, there are no impediments to getting married (nulla osta for marriage)?

No, the presence of the other party isn’t necessary. However, the contents of their marital status certificate must be clear and allow the integration of all their required data for the drafting of the certificate confirming that, according to Polish law, there are no impediments to marriage. For instance, this document should be able to determine the gender of the other party.

Can the consul issue the certificate confirming that, under Polish law, there are no impediments to marriage for the purpose of a same-sex civil union established in accordance with Italian law?

No, because this certificate contains data about the other party. In the current Polish legal system, there is no provision for establishing or recognizing civil unions between people of the same sex created abroad.

Who will be your Counselors?

Lawyers talking inside their law firm

Due to our experience in law firms and the foreign offices of the Italian public administration, we gained significant expertise in Consular affairs, and we are trained to solve the most complicated procedure such as:

1) Nulla osta process, legalization procedure, Court hearings for the refusal of the town hall when there documents missing , legal translation, apostille procedure, emergency procedure for legalization.

2) Same-sex couples that want to celebrate a civil union in Italy as in their country the union is forbidden;

3) Couples that come from countries where divorce is not allowed;

4) Italians living abroad registered at AIRE that need to recover their document to start the marriage banns in the Italian Consulate;

5) Assistance with people that come from countries that do not release the nulla osta;

6) American and Australian couples who needs assistance with “atto notorio” in an Italian Court or the Italian Consulate in the USA or Australia.

7) People with refugee status who have requested asylum in Italy.

You May Also Like