How to get a marriage license in Italy

How to get a marriage license in Italy

Get Legally Married in Italy with a Civil Wedding Recognized in Your Home Country

Legal Wedding in Italy

Obtaining a marriage license in Italy as a foreign citizen involves several steps and specific documentation. Here’s a comprehensive guide to help you navigate the legal requirements for a civil wedding in Italy.

With our strong legal background due to our previous experience as legal consultants for the Italian foreign offices we can provide the best service in the wedding market.

This experience allowed us to gain deep expertise in foreign affairs.

Get Legally Married in Italy with a Civil Wedding Recognized in Your Home Country

To legally marry in Italy, foreign citizens must provide the following:

  1. Valid Passport: Ensure your passport is up-to-date and valid.
  2. Nulla Osta al Matrimonio: This is a certificate of no impediment according to Article 116 of the Italian Civil Code. It can be issued by:
  • The Embassy or Consulate of your home country in Italy: The signature must be legalized at the Prefettura if your country does not have a convention with Italy that exempts this step.
  • Alternative Procedures: Some countries have bilateral agreements or international conventions allowing different procedures for issuing the certificate.

Documents issued abroad may need to be translated into Italian and legalized, either through an apostille (Hague Convention) or at the Italian Consulate in your country.

Countries with Specific Agreements:

  • Finland, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and the United Kingdom: Citizens from these countries do not need a Nulla Osta but must follow specific documentation and translation requirements.
  • Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, and the Republic of Moldova: These countries adhere to the Munich Convention, requiring a “Certificate of Marriage Capacity” from the local municipal office, which does not need translation or legalization.

US Citizens:

  • Sworn Statement: This Nulla Osta must be signed and sworn before the US Consul in Italy, then legalized at the Prefettura.
  • Atto Notorio: An additional document to confirm marital eligibility, drawn up before an Italian Court or the Italian Consulate in the US.

British Citizens:

  • Certificate of No Impediment (CNI): Obtainable in the UK, with a statutory declaration. This must be translated and legalized.
  • Legalization: Both the CNI and statutory declaration need to be legalized by the Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office and then translated by an approved translator in Italy.

Australian Citizens:

  • Affidavit: A sworn declaration before the Australian Consul in Italy, legalized at the Prefettura.
  • Atto Notorio: Obtained before an Italian Court official.

Canadian Citizens:

  • Documents Required: Birth certificate, proof of Canadian citizenship, marriage record search letter, divorce decree (if applicable), and other personal documents. These must be sent to the Canadian consulate in Rome for a Marriage Nulla Osta.

Russian Citizens:

  • Documents Required: Statement of unmarried status, valid passport, birth certificate, and if applicable, divorce or death certificate of the previous spouse. These must be translated and legalized as needed.

Marriage Banns:
If one of the spouses is an Italian resident or an Italian citizen residing abroad (registered at AIRE), marriage banns (pubblicazioni di matrimonio) are mandatory and last for 11 consecutive days.

For non-resident foreigners, a declaration stating no impediments to marriage is required, signed at the Italian town hall where the civil marriage will take place, usually one or two days before the wedding.

An interpreter is necessary if any of the spouses do not understand Italian adequately.

Civil marriage in Bolzano

Other Exceptions to Nulla Osta

Based on specific international agreements and conventions, different conditions apply for citizens of the following countries:


  • Finnish citizens must obtain a certificate of ability to marry from their local administrative authority in Finland. This certificate must be translated into Italian by a sworn translator and both documents must have an “Apostille” (Hague Convention).


  • Lithuanian citizens need to apply to the Municipal Registry Offices in Lithuania for a permit to get married. This certificate must also be translated into Italian and both documents must have an “Apostille” (Hague Convention).


  • As of May 14, 2015, certificates from the Civil Registers of Mexican States are required to attest to marital status. The “Constancia de Resistencia de Registro” confirms no registrations exist for the person concerned, facilitating the marriage process in Italy.


  • Norwegian citizens need a permit issued by the Registry of Norwegian residence, translated into Italian by a sworn translator, and equipped with an “Apostille” (Hague Convention).


  • The head of the civil status office of the municipality of residence in Poland issues the authorization to marry in Italy. The translated nulla osta is exempt from legalization in the Italian Prefettura.


  • The Embassy of Hungary issues a replacement certification for marriage authorization, as specified by the Italian “Circolare 11/2013.”

San Marino:

  • The Nulla Osta is issued by the Civil Status Office of the Republic of San Marino and is exempt from any legalization.


  • Syrian citizens must obtain a permit from the Syrian Arab Republic Embassy in Vienna, which needs legalization by the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Italian diplomatic-consular representation in Vienna.


  • Swedish citizens must get a certificate of no impediments from the Swedish municipality of residence, translated into Italian by a sworn translator, and equipped with an “Apostille” (Hague Convention).


  • Brazilian citizens require a declaration from their consular authorities, under the model agreed by the Italian Ministry AA.EE. and the Embassy of Brazil.


  • Depending on their religion, Jordanian citizens need authorization from either the Shariah Islamic Court or the Ecclesiastical Court in Jordan. This document must be legalized at the Foreign Ministry in Jordan, then sent to the Italian wedding planner for further processing.

This comprehensive guide ensures your civil wedding in Italy is legally recognized both in Italy and in your home country. For personalized assistance, legal wedding planners in Italy can help streamline the process.

The Mayor assists a couple in signing documents during a civil wedding in the Dolomites.

Who will be your Legal Counselors and Planners?

Legal counselors for civil wedding in Italy

Due to our experience in law firms and the foreign offices of the Italian public administration, we gained significant expertise in Consular affairs, and we are trained to solve the most complicated procedure such as:

1) Nulla osta process, legalization procedure, Court hearings for the refusal of the town hall when there documents missing , legal translation, apostille procedure, emergency procedure for legalization.

2) Same-sex couples that want to celebrate a civil union in Italy as in their country the union is forbidden;

3) Couples that come from countries where divorce is not allowed;

4) Italians living abroad registered at AIRE that need to recover their document to start the marriage banns in the Italian Consulate;

5) Assistance with people that come from countries that do not release the nulla osta;

6) American and Australian couples who needs assistance with “atto notorio” in an Italian Court or the Italian Consulate in the USA or Australia.

7) People with refugee status who have requested asylum in Italy.

You May Also Like