How can a Japanese get married in Italy?

How can a Japanese get married in Italy?

A Japanese couple getting married in the Dolomites with a legal civil wedding.

Requirements for citizen from Japan willing to get married in Italy.

The Japanese citizens willing to get married in Italy need to visit their local municipality in Japan to request their Kosekitohon, which is essentially a document that certifies the family register.

There are two types of Kosekitohon; you will roughly need 3 copies of the less expensive one (about 500 yen per copy) and 2 copies of the more expensive one (around 900 yen each).

We will arrange an appointment for you at the Japanese Consulate.

During this specific phase, the Japanese citizen may need to personally visit the Japanese Embassy in Rome or the Japanese Consulate in Milan, where they will need to present the bride’s passport and her Kosekitohon.

The certificate of no impediment to marriage (nulla osta) will be issued on the same day.

Civil Wedding in the Dolomites before the Mayor of Bolzano

Request for the Marriage Eligibility Certificate (NULLA OSTA)

This certificate confirms that the individual is unmarried and has reached the legal age to marry under Japanese law. It can be requested at the Japanese Embassy in Rome or the Consulate General of Japan in Milan. The request must be made in person by the applicant.

Documents required for marrying in Italy as Japanese citizens:

  • Applicant’s passport.
  • Official document with citizenship, name, and birth date of the partner (such as a passport, identity card), accepted copy.
  • Copy of the registry excerpt or the complete certificate, issued in the last 3 months.

Note: To issue the Marriage Eligibility Certificate, it’s essential to verify the events recorded after reaching the legal age to marry (18 years for both genders).

If the register has been reformed, prepare both the full certificate and the original copy.

If you’ve moved your residence, also prepare a copy of the previous registry.

You can check in advance if the certificate can be issued with the provided registry extracts.

Certificate Authentication (LEGALIZATION)

Certificates issued by the embassy or consulate must be authenticated by the Prefecture. Bring the certificate, a stamp, and other required documents to the Prefecture for the authentication request. For details on the costs, contact the Prefecture. Certificates issued by the embassy are valid in the prefectures south of Tuscany, and those by the consulate are valid in the prefectures north of Emilia-Romagna.

Marriage following Italian procedures

Generally, after the announcement of marriage intentions, the ceremony date is set. For details, contact the local municipality.

Marriage Declaration in Japan

After getting married in Italy, it’s necessary to declare it in Japan. As your consultants, we will submit a request to present the marriage declaration within 3 days from the marriage date at the Japanese Embassy, specifically at the Consulate General of Japan or the Japanese civil registry office in Italy. If you wish to change your surname, you’ll need to submit a declaration within 6 months from the marriage date.

Japanese newlyweds posing in the corridor of Miramonti boutique hotel in Avelengo.

Who will be your Counselors?

Lawyers talking inside their law firm

Our firm’s specialized legal consultation services are designed to assist you in successfully meeting these requirements, thereby facilitating the legal recognition of your marriage in both Italy and the U.S.

Due to our experience in law firms and the foreign offices of the Italian public administration, we gained significant expertise in Consular affairs, and we are trained to solve the most complicated procedure such as:

1) Nulla osta process, legalization procedure, Court hearings for the refusal of the town hall when there documents missing , legal translation, apostille procedure, emergency procedure for legalization.

2) Same-sex couples that want to celebrate a civil union in Italy as in their country the union is forbidden;

3) Couples that come from countries where divorce is not allowed;

4) Italians living abroad registered at AIRE that need to recover their document to start the marriage banns in the Italian Consulate;

5) Assistance with people that come from countries that do not release the nulla osta;

6) American and Australian couples who needs assistance with “atto notorio” in an Italian Court or the Italian Consulate in the USA or Australia.

7) People with refugee status who have requested asylum in Italy.

You May Also Like